EASY Irish Soda Bread

With St. Patrick's Day coming soon, I made Irish Beef Stew this week. I wanted some bread to go along with it and decided to try out some Irish Soda Bread.  I was so surprised with how easy it was to make and also how good it was! It only has 4 ingredients!!


This bread is so fast to make. It doesn't need to rise, so it can be made at the last minute. I always think of making bread way too late for dinner. so I love a quick and easy bread.  It has a biscuit-like taste, but it hearty and crusty.  I made mine with half whole wheat flour, to make it healthier.


Ingredients:

3 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 2/3 c. buttermilk.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Pour in the buttermilk. (If you don't have buttermilk on hand add 1 Tbsp of lemon juice for each cup of milk and let it sit for 5 minutes or so.) Mix the dough with a wooden spoon. Dust the counter with flour and gently knead the dough. Pat it into a circle and place it on a baking sheet. Slice a criss cross on the top of the loaf before baking. 

Bake for about 30 minutes. Check it to make sure it isn't browning too quickly. If so, reduce the temperature a little. Cool slightly before eating. 

This is a delicious bread & is wonderful to make any time of year!  






Comments

Unknown said…
This looks so yummy! Thank you for sharing your recipe.
TLC Bounce said…
I am a recent stay at home dad and I will enjoy making this for my wife. Thank you for sharing!

Moon Bounce Rental Philadelphia