Healthy Zucchini Bread


I always think it's funny (ironic) when we make things like zucchini bread, pumpkin cookies, banana bread, carrot cake, etc. and use great healthy ingredients, but load them with fat & sugar. We have a bunch of zucchini growing in our garden, so I wanted to make a healthy version of zucchini bread. I found a recipe on allrecipes.com and altered it to make it healthy by using applesauce instead of most of the oil, wheat flour & less sugar pluse some flax meal. It is delicious, believe me, I am actually eating it right now.

Here's the recipe:

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. vegetable oil
2/3 c. applesauce
2 c. grated zucchini (this ended up being one giant one from my garden = 2 of the store variety)
2 tsp vanilla
2 c. wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 c. ground flax meal (or wheat germ)

Mix the wet ingredients first- zucchini, eggs, oil, applesauce & vanilla. Add the remaining ingredients & mix. Pour into large greased bread pan.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Comments

Nurture Mama said…
This sounds great. I don't have any flax or wheat germ--do you think it would work if I just leave that out? Should I add a little more flour?
Anonymous said…
i tried this recipe, with the addition of raisins, and i L-O-V-E-D it. it was so moist and savory! this will be a staple in my house from now on.